Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

Write a critically reflective post on the topic “The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback." Explain your view of that feedback, how it impacted your developing writing skills, and  whether/how you might transfer content, organization and language skills learned in the course to writing assignments within any other module at SIT. This should be 300 to 400 words.(311 words)

I read my peers' passages from a different angle and write down  my own ideas into words for them to understand. A good feedback has the attribute of providing strengths and weaknesses in a timely fashion about the peer's passages so that they can reflect upon themselves when the passage is still fresh in their mind.

My first post on this blog is about how English is important. I got my fair share of positive comments and constructive criticism.  One of more memorable one is professor Blackstone's feedback. He mentioned that I have illustrated the impression of English. However, the use of metaphor was confusing. After evaluated what he said, I kept it in mind and whenever I read books, I will keep a look out for interesting metaphor that were used appropriately. Even though my newer posts does not reflect the use of improved metaphors but I picked up a good habit. It reminded myself that it is important to keep your reader's imagination link to your idea.


Effective communication is a very crucial skill to have. Any job in the world requires some form of communication and being able to pass on your idea to another person in a form of words or writing without corroding the meaning helps people to understand your point. This module, Effective Communication, given me a deeper understanding of how to write a more effective report. All the skills can be very beneficial to  other modules with report writing during my years in Singapore institute of Technology. Through the many reader respond draft done, I have a better understand of how to get my idea across. With or without words limit, we should always keep the meaning of the sentence relevant. Always have your peers feedback on the post you wrote. This helps them to pick up any silly grammar mistakes or illogical sentences.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hong Yi,

    Glad that you've picked up a new habit to keep a look out on how author uses metaphor to illustrate. I hope this could help you in your writing as well. I agree that this module is a crucial skill to have and has given us the basic knowledge on producing a good and effective report. I believe that it will definitely help us further in life such as doing a presentation or proposal in the working society. At the same time, I can see improvement in your grammar verb tenses as compared to the first time writing a post. However I feel that you might still have some phrasing structure problem. One of the example would be:

    "One of more memorable one is professor Blackstone's feedback. He mentioned that I have illustrated the impression of English." --> "The more memorable feedback will be the one from Professor Blackstone, stating that I have illustrated the impression of English".

    From your writing, I could still feel that you've been pausing a lot in your writings. Probably you could further improve on that.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hong Yi, for this critical reflection. You do a good job of reviewing the basics of the feedback exercise and how you felt about that. My only question now is this: How might your experience with peer feedback this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules? Would there be any way to get peer feedback on the future?

    That aside, I want to thank you for your effort this term, and I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete